The Q&A Archives: lavender plants

Question: I planted lavender last year & loved my plants. I see some green but very very little. Will they come back? I did not cut them back. Is that my problem? nancy

Answer: Some lavender types are more hardy than others so if yours doesn't look lush, it might be that it suffered through the winter months. Don't give up on it, though - new foliage is a good sign! Pruning a lavender to the point where it has no foliage will most likely kill it, so I prune mine back only in small increments. In spring, I cut the foliage back by one third to stimulate new growth. Then, after the new foliage has grown in, I cut that back by one third to stimulate new growth at the base of the plant. If new growth does break at the base of the plant, I prune the plant back to just above the new growth. So at this point, just lightly shear your plant. I hope you see lots of new growth in the next few weeks!