The Q&A Archives: When to Apply Weed Killer and Grass Seeds

Question: I have a lawn filled with weeds. I used the claw to help remove the weeds by hand (including their roots), and don't know if my next step is to apply weed killer before I lay the grass seeds or lay the grass seeds down and just water the lawn with a

Answer: Newly planted grass seed may be fertilized with a starter type fertilizer. You would not use a weed and feed or any other herbicide on newly seeded areas. Definitely do not use any type of pre-emergent weed preventer product when you are seeding as this will prevent your grass seed from growing. Always carefully read and follow all of the label directions on any product you use. If you have questions about a specific product, you may want to contact the manufacturer for specific advice.