The Q&A Archives: New front porch -- shaded area - would like to put up hanging plants

Question: We just put up a new front porch and it is usually shaded in the whole area by 12-1:00 in the afternoon. I would really like to hang up some pretty hanging plants, but I'm not sure what I should put there since the area doesn't get much sun. I figure I probably have to get them custom made somewhere ---- if not at Home Depot, and am willing to do that. I just don't know how to do it and what kind of flowers to choose.

Thank-you for your help.

Answer: When there is sun all morning through the noon hour then it is considered a full sun location. You can use a wide variety of plants such as petunia, calibrachoa, trailing verbena, lobelia, and nasturtium. I would probably avoid tropical plants such as lantana, mandevilla and black eyed Susie vine that really love heat and full sun all day long as your location is going to be on the (relatively speaking) cool side. Enjoy your baskets!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"