The Q&A Archives: curly willow

Question: I have a curly willow from a floral arrangement that I have successfully potted. I think it is now ready for the garden. The question is where. Does this plant need full sun? Does it need to be protected from the elements? How large will it get? And most of all will the deer eat it? Thank you, Cindy

Answer: Your curly willow will like sunshine and lots of water. It is hardy in your growing region, as long as it is planted in the ground. Since your new willow has been indoors and in a pot, gradually acclimate it the the outdoors by first setting it outside in a shady spot. After a few days, move it to a spot with just a few hours of morning sun. Then move it after a few days to a site that gets a little more sunshine. At the end of a week, set it in full sunshine. Now it's ready to be planted in the ground - the whole acclimation process should only take 10-14 days. Curly willow can grow 30-40' high and wide.

Best wishes with your new plant!