The Q&A Archives: Boiling Water Over Lupine Seeds

Question: I have had trouble starting lupines from seeds. Recently I was told to either boil them for a while or to pour boiling water over the seeds to soften the shell. Will this work? Do you have more details for this or another method?<br>Thank you!! Theresa (We have a VERY short growing season!) Do they need to be started indoors ahead of time, or can they be started directly outside?

Answer: I have had the most success with starting lupine seeds by scratching the seed coat. All I do is nick the seed with a nail file or sharp knife. The seeds are then planted in sterile, soilless mix to which I have added a few handfuls of sand. Because you do have such a short growing season, it probably is best for you to get a head start on things by starting your seeds indoors.