The Q&A Archives: privacy

Question: I have a privacy fence between mine and my neighbors house. she just put on an addition and now you can see into our back yard. I want to put some plants on my side that will grow tall enough to block the view. I want something that I wont have to trim much and that will not get very wide as this is next where we park our pontoon boat so we cant block the opening. What kinds of plants do you suggest? I live in central florida

Answer: Tammy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

There are a number of options for such a screen. One would be a clumping type of bamboo (running types can be invasive if the roots are not contained. Other options (which may take a wider area in order to be as tall as you want) are 'Bright N Tight' Carolina Cherry Laurel (Prunus caroliniana), and 'Little Gem' Magnolia.