The Q&A Archives: very short dense groundcover

Question: I would like to know what groundcovers are avialable that are dense and very low.(1-2

Answer: Paul,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

There are very few that are low growing enough for snakes not to be able to hide in. Dwarf mondo (dwarf monkeygrass) is very low but only grows in lots of shade. It doesn't spread much at all so you'll need lots to plant and cover an area. Another option for sun is the low growing type of oregano (herb). Two others that are summer growers and dormant in the winter are Polygonum and Leadwort Plumbago (Ceratostigma plumbaginoides).