The Q&A Archives: Sodding on sand

Question: I am laying sod at a new home and the builder put sand down in the areas where there was no sod. What do I need to do to prepare the sand before laying the sod and also seeding part of the lawn? Thanks

Answer: Dawn,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Just smooth it out and lay the sod. Rent a roller to go over the area after sodding to get good soil/sod contact and water it well. Then water daily with a light application for a few days and then go to every other day for another few days to help keep it going until the roots are able to get growing well so the sod can become well established. Gradually back off on the watering to once every week.