The Q&A Archives: Lawn / Gardening

Question: I'm interested in planting some shrubs and annual plants around my side yard. what would be the best type of shrubs/plants? Am I late to plant them?

Answer: You can still plant container grown plants, certainly. Be sure to water thoroughly at planting and then apply a layer of mulch over the root area. Use an organic mulch two to three inches thick. The mulch helps keep down weeds and reduces watering needs. It also helps feed the soil as it breaks down slowly over time. Water as needed to keep the soil evenly moist (not sopping wet, not dried out) this summer. Correct watering is the most important aspect of new plant care.

When you select trees or shrubs or perennials, look for those considered winter hardy in USDA winter hardiness zone 6 or colder.

Your specific plant selection will depend on the location where you are planting: the growing conditions (is it sunny or shady and at what time of day, is is wet or dry, is it windy, what kind of soil is there), the overall space available for the plants to grow and mature, and your overall design goal.