The Q&A Archives: planting with color and 1/2 day of sunshine

Question: I know absolutely nothing about planting. I love color and flowers but I'm not sure what to plant in my zone. I have 2 stone flower boxes in front of 2 different windows in the front of the house. I don't know what to plant or put in the soil. HELP

Answer: Thea,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Add 1-2" of compost to improve the soil and mix it in well. Or just use potting soil in the planter boxes. Some flowers for that amount of sun include dwarf zinnias, marigolds, purslane, blackfoot daisy, fanflower, and narrow leaved zinnia.