The Q&A Archives: Removing house moss w/o harming puppies

Question: Hello, We have shade, shade, and more shade. And, we've just removed yards of yews growing along the north face of the house. Time to deal with moss on house, patio, lawn. But I have two less-than 10 pound puppies who spend a couple hours in the garden with me each day, and if it's interesting (a crow's head was last week) it gets eaten. Recommendations please. The house is old brick and siding and 3 stories high.

Answer: Moss or algae spread by spores and grow wherever environmental conditions are encouraging to it. You may find that removing the yews opens the area to enough light and air circulation that the moss or algae dies back on its own. Dampness also encourages moss/algae, so avoid watering the area as well. In some cases moss is seasonal, appearing in spring and then naturally disappearing in summer when the weather turns hotter and drier. Using a cleaning solution of bleach and water on the house (and possibly scrubbing with a brush but not power washing) should remove algae. Then rinse the area with plain water to further dilute the bleach. Make sure it is dry before the puppies are allowed to go there.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Shamrock Zinfandel"