The Q&A Archives: Goodwin Creek Lavender

Question: I bought 4 of these Goodwin Creek Lavender plants from your store last summer. They took off beautifully, however now that spring has arrived, the leaves are a gray color, and it doesn't seem to have any new growth on any of the plants. I'm getting a bit concerned. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer: Unfortunately, "Goodwin Creek" lavender is only considered winter hardy into zone 7. Your zip code places you in zone 6B or the colder part of zone 6 so they may have died. If you garden in a warm microclimate or very sheltered spot and the plants were growing in very well drained soil it is possible they might have survived. Lavenders tend to come into growth fairly late in the spring, and also may suffer winter dieback due to cold weather. You could prune off any deadwood beginning at the tips and working your way down the plants. If they are still alive they should recover and bloom for you this summer.