The Q&A Archives: Tree Pruning

Question: I purchased one of your Snow Fountain Weeping Cherry Trees and it needs pruning. When and how is the best way to trim this type of tree? I read that trimming it can cause branches to start growing not consistant with the weeping effect.

Answer: In general, pruning on cherries should be limited as much as possible because pruning cuts can encourage pests and disease problems. You would remove dead branches and broken branches when they happen. You would remove any suckers from the roots or growth on the trunk from below the graft as soon as possible. (Failure to do this can result in loss of the weeping effect and having the grafted top become overwhelmed by the non-weeping rootstock.) You could also remove rubbing branches. Other than that, there should not be much pruning needed.