The Q&A Archives: poisonous plants

Question: I was told that wisteria can be poisonous to pets and/or children if ingested.

Answer: According to the California Poison Control Center, wisteria rates a warning of Minor Toxicity: "Ingestion of these plants may cause minor illnesses such as vomiting or diarrhea. If ingested, call the Poison Control Center or your doctor."

According to the Cornell Poisonous Plants Informational Database, all parts of the plants are toxic to people.

According to the Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System, "ingesting one or two seeds can cause serious poisoning in a child."

I checked several veterinary references and did not find Wisteria listed there, however that does NOT necessarily mean it is not toxic to pets. You might want to check with your veterinarian as well, especially since it is toxic to people.