The Q&A Archives: What kind of tree is it?

Question: We moved into an old home with old landscaping. There is a tree approximately 4 feet tall with thick green leaves and beautiful purple flowers that bloom. It's a hardly tree because the leaves do not seem to fall off in the winter. It it half dead and I'd like to try to relocate it or revive it if at all possible, however, I do not have a clue what it is. The leaves are oblong in shape and are very thick. The flowers that are on it make it worth finding out what it is. Please help!!

Thank You!

Answer: I'm sorry, but without seeing it, I can't identify it. I suggest you take a sample of the foliage and flowers to a nursery or to your Michigan State University Genesee County Cooperative Extension office. They or their volunteer Master Gardeners can help you identify it, and then provide care instructions. Good luck!
Genesee County Extension
HOURS: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
ADDRESS: 4215 W. Pasadena Ave., Flint, MI 48504
PHONE: (810) 244-8500