The Q&A Archives: How to Grow Gherkins (a variety of Cucumber) in a pot?

Question: Hello Expert,
This is the first time I am planting tomato and Gherkins, a variety of cucumber plant in pots at home. I was told about putting a mesh. But had no idea of how for pots in our balcony. I was wondering if you can give me some of your inputs of how to go about it. Will the Vertical rails in our balcony mimic the mesh by tying some horizontal wires to it. Will the plant support that I buy for tomatoes be enough for Gherkins.

It would be great if you can give me some of your inputs regarding this.

Thank you,

Answer: Pavi,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Choose a pot at least 5 gallons in size and larger is better. The vertical rails and twine will work fine for a climbing support. Tomato supports are usually not quite big enough. Fertilize the plants with a soluble plant food such as Miracle Gro. Keep the soil moist because container plants dry out quickly in the warm season.