The Q&A Archives: boxwood

Question: im using boxwood,a mixture of korean and winter gem, as a hedge on the side of my house ,and everytime i plant one, some of the foliage turns white and droops dowm. i noticed that it easily collects water around the base of the plant , we have clay soil. what do i do to fix this?

Answer: Boxwoods require a well drained location, so you may need to create a slightly raised planting bed for the shrubs to prevent water collecting around them. (Poor drainage will cause root damage.) I would suggest you work with your local county extension to run some basic soil tests and determine the best way to amend and prepare your particular soil for growing boxwoods. A hedge is a long lived planting so it is worth preparing the soil correctly at the start.