The Q&A Archives: Flowering Plum / Robinson Crabapple trees

Question: I just purchased a flowering plum and robinson crabapple tree and not too sure i made the right choice. I have a small backyard and wanted to block the view of my neighbors livingroom. I liked the pretty pink flowers on them. Have I selected the right tree for my front and back yard? I picked them because they were cheap and pretty.

The Robinson Crabapple with its distinctive pink blossoms is the fastest growing of the selections. Upright and spreading with a beautiful bronze-green foliage. it has a mature size of 20-30' high and wide. It may be too large for a small yard. On the other hand, Centurion Crabapple is a vigorous columnar form when young to upright spreading with age. Grows to 25' and spread 15'. Beautiful rose-red flower, leaves reddish in spring turning bronze green in summer. You may want to consider exchanging your Robinson for a Centurion if your yard is small.

Flowering plum trees generally reach 20' tall and 15' wide so they're good for small yards.

Hope this answers your questions!