The Q&A Archives: No blooms

Question: My azaleas are 4 years old and have not bloomed. The shrubs are beautiful but no blooms. What's am I not doing?

Answer: Jeanine,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Very strange. If you prune the plants after about early summer you can be removing shoots that would be setting bloom buds in mid to late summer for next year's blooming season. Wait until after the spring bloom period to prune and them complete the pruning by early summer at the latest. It could also be due to lack of sufficient sun. The foliage can survive and grow in conditions that are not adequate for much bloom production.