The Q&A Archives: Forsynthia bush

Question: Why don't I get the typical yellow flowers in the spring any more. It get plenty of green leaves and is very full.

Answer: There are two main reasons why forsythias might not bloom. One is that it has been pruned at the wrong time. These shrubs bloom on wood that grew the year before. The best time to prune is in the spring right after it blooms. Pruning at other times will remove flowering wood. The other big reason is too much shade. This plant likes full sun all day long or at bare minimum for six hours including the noontime hour. In less sun, it will bloom less. Sometimes nearby trees grow over the years and an area that used to be sunny becomes shady instead. I hope this helps you trouble shoot.