The Q&A Archives: How to propagate trumpet vine

Question: My brother has a beautiful trumpet vine in his yard. How do I propagate it? Chris Ignasiak Cleveland, OH

Answer: Trumpet vines are easy to propagate from cuttings taken in early summer, says Mark Gilson, owner of Gilson Gardens, propagators of perennials and vines in Gilson, Ohio. The cutting has to be at the proper maturity to root. If the new growth is too young, it will rot; if it's too old, the cutting won't root, Gilson explains. In Ohio, we usually take cuttings from late May to early July. Take a 6-inch cutting from the new growth. Remove the bottom leaves (keep the leaves on the upper one or two nodes) and dip the base of the cutting in a rooting hormone, such as Dip 'n Grow, says Gilson. Place the prepared cutting in a moistened soilless mix in a sunny indoor location. Cover the pot with a clear plastic bag so the soil mixture doesn't dry out. In one to two weeks new roots will form. Once roots form, move the cutting to a larger container for about one month. About midsummer, plant the trumpet vine cutting in a sunny location. For the first few months you should provide the plant with light shade to reduce stress, says Gilson. Although the cutting will grow well, it may take two years before it starts flowering.