The Q&A Archives: Lawns

Question: Hello,
I have Zoysia grass and for some reason I am starting to see quite a few weeds. What can I do to get my grass back to the thick green grass that I had last summer? I used Scotts2 Weed & Seed, over the weekend but if you know something that really works, please share.

Answer: If you have questions about the Scotts product you used, please contact Scotts directly. Their web site includes contact information at

In general, a healthy zoysia lawn will crowd out weeds and fill in thick. Baltimore is really at the northern edge of where zoysia grows satisfactorily, and the zoysia is slow to get started in the spring as a result -- usually not until late May or so depending on the weather. Here are some general care guidelines for zoysia you may find helpful.

Good luck with your lawn this summer!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"