The Q&A Archives: how to get a start from another rose

Question: I would like to get a cutting from a friens rose bush how do you start it? in water or dirt?

Answer: Janet,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You can propagate it by tip cuttings about 3" long (from shoots without blooms), remove the lower leaves, dip in a rooting hormone product and place in a moist, sterile medium such as perlite or perlite/peat mix, which is better than trying to root them in soil. Place a clear cover over the cuttings to hold in moisture, and set them in a bright spot out of direct sunlight. They will root in 4-6 weeks in most cases.

You can also try "tip layering" a branch in the soil next to the mother plant.