The Q&A Archives: gardenia

Question: one of my gardenia has lots of green buds.. but also an increasing amount of yellow leafs?? the second seems to be.. dead, but is still green.. it has no buds on it... they are in part shade, they are watered dailey... They are the one plant I would really like to grow,, I love them but cant seem to help them grow? please advise, thank you, kbt

Answer: Kimberly,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Gardenias like moist soil but not soggy soil. They need some sun but full day may be too much. I suspect the problem plant had a soil moisture problem and this may have let a root rot get to it. There is little to do now but keep the soil moist but not soggy. Hopefully the damage will be minimal and it will recover.

The following web site should also be helpful: