The Q&A Archives: Squirrels eating bulbs

Question: How can I keep squirrels from digging in my garden and eating my bulbs? I have started some bulbs on my 2nd fl deck but once planted they are still digging them up. A few weeks ago I plnated over 150 bulbs and I am lucky if they left me 20. Any suggestions?

Answer: Squirrels can be so destructive sometimes! You might try using one of the spray-on repellents labeled for squirrels, be sure to apply and reapply per the label directions. Another option might be to cover the ground/pot with wire mesh fencing like chicken wire until the plants begin to come up. Some gardeners find that dipping the bulbs in a rodent repellent such as Ropel just prior to planting helps prevent the digging. Some gardeners also report success with feeding the squirrels as a means of keeping them fed without resorting to eating garden plantings. I hope this gives you some ideas.