The Q&A Archives: Shaded Flower bed

Question: I just bought a house and the flower bed in the front yard has mostly shade all day long, what can I and can't I get to grow there?

Answer: Michael,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

That is a pretty wide open question. Here is a list of some good flowers for shady areas: Impatiens, Begonia, Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis), Oxalis, Mexican Petunia (Ruellia), Pansy, Foxglove (Digitalis), "Texas Gold' Columbine, Cyclamen, Flowering Tobacco (Nicotiana), Hosta, Tradescantia, Violet, Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata), shrimp plant, begonia, phlox, coleus, Chinese ground orchid (Bletilla striata), caladium, butterfly ginger (Hedychium)and Wishbone Flower (Torenia fournieri).