The Q&A Archives: Spreading yews are turning brown and dying

Question: I have spreading yews which have been doing great fore the last 10+years, they are now turning brown and dying, could it be extreme cold with no snow, moles? should i cut them back to the ground and hope for the best or replace them?

Answer: Based on your description, I am unfortunately not able to tell you what is happening to your yews this year. It is possible the oscillating spring temperatures may have damaged the new growth buds (in which case they should be fine), or there may be some other cause such as voles eating the roots during the winter. I would suggest you work with your local Cornell extension to try to diagnose the actual cause of the browning. Based on knowing that, you will be able to decide what to do next. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.