The Q&A Archives: Lily Hybrid

Question: All of the flowers fell off. This I understand. Now every leaf has fallen off. Is this natural? What do I do now. Also can this be planted outside in zone 5?

Answer: It is normal for the flowers to die, but alarming that the foliage has died down so early in the season. The leaves manufacture and transport energy to the bulb for the following year's floral display. It sounds as though your lily has been growing indoors. If so, it was forced into bloom and its timing is way off. It may or may not survive. I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and plant it outdoors> This winter mulch heavily over the bulb to protect it during the winter months. If it survived its time indoors and then out in the garden, you should see some new sprouts next spring. Hope so!