The Q&A Archives: live oak tree

Question: My live oak tree, planted last spring, got dry and lost all its leaves at the end of summer. This spring it is putting on new leaves and is about 2/3 leaved out. it appears to be healthy, and leaves continue to come out further out on the branches. Will it be ok. When I noticed its leaves dropping I started watering heavily.

Answer: David,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

It sounds like it will be fine based on your description. Keep the soil moist during summer heat for the first few years until it has a more extensive root system.