The Q&A Archives: drying petunia leaves

Question: the lower leaves on my potted petunias are starting to whither and die. the top leaves are still vibrant and full of blumes. could the lowers by dying from over fertilization? over watering?

Answer: John,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

That may be dry soil, burn from overapplication of fertilizer or possibly a leaf blight from frequent wetting of the foliage. If you over fertilized drench the soil to wash away excess salt and then allow it to dry out quite a bit. Otherwise keep the soil just moist and it should recover.