The Q&A Archives: What to plant

Question: My house faces North and I would like to make the front, up next to the house, more attractive but it gets little to no direct sun. I would like a little more privacy on the front porch, about 2/3's of the front. What should I plant?

Answer: You might be able to create a bit of screening effect using a shade tolerant large shrub such as Hamamelis, Viburnum prunifolium or the semi-evergreen Viburnum rhytidophyllum. These grow quite large, almost the size of a small tree so you could use them a bit further out from the foundation so they have room to grow. Along the foundation you could try an evergreen such as Prunus laurocerasus. For additional interest try hostas in a variety of colors, sizes and textures and possibly some ferns as well. I hope this gives you some ideas.