The Q&A Archives: landscpae beds

Question: I want to convert a grassy area into a landscaped flower/shrub bed without killing my back.
Do I need to dig up all of the grass or can I lay down a weed barrier and dig holes for the shrubs into it and then cover with mulch?

Answer: Deidrea,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

If the grasses are annual grassy weeds or the lawn grasses St. Augustine or Centipede you can cover the area to shade them out and then plant through the weed block fabric. However if the grasses are perennial grassy weeds or the lawn grasses Bermudagrass or Zoysia you should spray them first to kill them and then put down your weed block fabrics. Products containing glyphosate, Sethoxydim or fluazifop are effective in controlling grassy weeds.