The Q&A Archives: Sweet Pomegranate

Question: I just bought Sweet Pomegranate tree in one gallon container. How wide and deep should the hole be in my backyard to plant the tree? How often should I water it? And, how often should I fertilize it? Thanks,

Answer: Your new pomegranate tree will grow best in full sunshine. Dig a hole just as deep and a little wider than the one-gallon container. Rough up the bottom and sides of the hole and then unpot and set your new tree in the hole. The object is to have the tree growing at the same soil level as it was in the container. Once you're sure it is the same - not too deep, not too shallow - fill in all around the rootmass with the soil you took out of the planting hole and tamp the soil down. Water it well to help eliminate any air pockets and to help settle the soil. For ease in watering, you might want to mound a few inches of soil around the tree to create a watering basin or watering well. Just make a circle of soil about 12" from the trunk of your new tree, mounding the soil up 3-4". When it is time to water (about once a week - twice if the weather is really hot) all you need to do is fill the basin with water, allow it to drain, then fill it a second time. This method of watering allow the moisture to trickle down and wet the entire rootmass. You'll want your pomegranate tree to develop a deep root system so it won't be water stressed in the summer time. Don't fertilize for the first year. You'll want the roots to become established before you promote new top growth.

Best wishes with your new tree!