The Q&A Archives: What is this foam?

Question: There is a foam like substance on some of my plants outside. It looks like someone spit on them. Can you tell me what this might be and how get rid of it? Thank You Sue

Answer: Spittlebugs are tiny little insects that attach themselves to leaves and stems of plants, feeding on the juices from plant tissues. They produce a foamy froth to protect themselves from predators. Soapy solutions can cause leaf burn on tender-leaved annuals and perennials and I like to avoid using insecticides on my plants whenever possible. I've found that a strong blast of water from the garden hose removes the spittlebugs from plants. They may return, but while they're making the trek from ground back to plant parts, they're not eating!