The Q&A Archives: Care and feeding

Question: I have two different kinds of jasmine plants. One is a night blooming jasmine the other is not although I don't know it's official name.What and how often should I feed them (ph balance ?). Is it alright to have them in the same planter?

Answer: Cestrum nocturnum is night blooming jasmine. There are many other jasmines and most are substantial shrubs so make sure there's plenty of room in your container for both plants - or plan to transplant them into individual containers as they begin to outgrown their first home.

Jasmines can take sun or shade or a combination and are not fussy about soils. I'd use a commercial potting soil, which is typically on the acidic side, and feed with a water soluable fertilizer (also slightly acidified) such as Miracle Gro, Peter's or Schultz's. Since your plants are in containers you'll want to feed at a half-strength dilution every 2-3 weeks during the growing season. This will provide an almost constant source of nutrients without concern of over-fertilizing your jasmines.

Water when the top half-inch of soil is dry and be sure to water thoroughly each time you apply water.

Enjoy your new plants!