The Q&A Archives: Why did the flowers change color

Question: I have had gazania (silver leaf with purple flowers) planted for a few years. This year, the flowers are yellow instead of pink/purple. Is there something I can add/amend to the soil to have them return to their original color. FYI ... they are planted around the base of a large cypress tree. Thanks for any suggestions.

Answer: I would venture that the plants with the different colored flowers are seedlings that have popped up in the bed. Birds and bees visit flowers and can transfer pollen from other gazanias in the neighborhood. The seeds produced by your original plants did not come true, but instead produced different strains of plants. The only way to have purple flowers is to replace your plants with new purple flowering ones. Isn't nature interesting??