The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Lemon Losing Leaves

Question: My 5 year old dwarf meyer lemon tree is losing it's leaves. The remaining leaves are dull. It was in a pot and is now planted in the ground. The plant gets both spray watering for 10 minutes and drip watering for 45 minutes each day. The spray watering is because the rest of the yard is new. Thank you for your help.

Answer: Based on the information you've provided, I think you are overwatering your tree. While citrus trees like moist soil, watering every day is a bit much. When the soil is saturated, and remains wet for long periods of time, it drives out the oxygen. Roots need oxygen! Instead of watering every day, plan on watering deeply once each week (twice if the weather is hot). Either disconnect the drip system from your citrus tree and water by hand, or adjust your drip system to deliver water for shorter periods of time. It takes a little sprinkler adjustment to get the flow just right, but if you can use a 2-gallon head on the drip system and supply water twice a day for 15 minutes, every other day, your citrus tree will be much happier. (You might try this same formula for the rest of your ornamentals.)

Best wishes with your garden!