The Q&A Archives: Weeds in the Juniper shrubs

Question: A large part of our front yard has Juniper shrubery which I believe was planted for erosion control. Each year, the weeds keep getting worse.
Is it possible to spray or apply something that would kill the weeds, but not kill the Juniper?
Thanks much, Brian

Answer: Brian,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

If the weeds are grasses you can use a product containing either fluazifop or sethoxydim. Look for products labeled as grass killers at your local Home Depot garden center. If the weeds are broadleaf plants there is not a good spray control that is safe for the junipers and hand pulling is the best option.