The Q&A Archives: Backyard/Patio plants

Question: My husband and I are building a patio in our backyard within the next 2 months, and we thought it would be nice to put some small plants in the backyard on the side of the patio. We would like low maintenance plants, but ones with some color. I am thinking we will get about 3-4 plants. Please let know what you would suggest. Is there any specific pest control you would recommend to keep the plants in good condition as well? Thank you.

Answer: Stacy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The best plants are going to be relatively pest and disease free. Some ones to choose from include buddleja (reaches about 5 feet tall), lantana 'Miss Huff' (about 4'), Salvia 'Mystic Spires' (2'), and various roses including the disease resistant new type 'Knock Out'.