The Q&A Archives: Lawn

Question: I had my old lawn tilted and now preparing to treat the soil with a herbicide. I need to know what would be the next process step. Also, what would be the best grass to put back down? Thank you.

Answer: JoAnn,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I would not use the herbicide unless you are spraying the green growth of weeds that have resprouted after the rototilling. Next is to purchase and lay the sod. Then roll it with a lawn roller, available at rental places. Then water immediately and keep moist for a few weeks to allow the turf time to get roots established.

Your County Extension Office is a good free resource on the best variety of grass and other plants for your area. Their contact info is:

559 N. Military Trail
West Palm Beach, FL 33415