The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Japanese Red Maple

Question: I just had a Japanese Maple tree die that I have had for three years. It think the unusual cold weather we had killed it because all the leaves shriveled up and none have come out since.

I went to purchase another one at Home Depot today. When I got home, I realized that I got a dwarf. The name on the tag is

Answer: Heather,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I doubt cold killed your first maple. They are quite hardy. It may have been due to poor soil drainage or some other soil moisture problem. The name you gave for the new plant doesn't indicate the variety and this is important in order to know the ultimate size since varieties of Japanese maple can range from 8 feet to 20 feet or more. As a general guess I would suspect your new tree will top out at about 10-12 feet or so in height. Growth habit can be guided by you as you trim and train the tree's growth.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"