The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maple Tree

Question: My Japanese Maple tree was growing well until we got three days of freezing weather. The tree already had beautiful red leaves on it which shriveled up after the freeze. It now appears to be dead. Will cold weather kill a Japanese maple or is there anything I can do to save it. It has not produced any leaves in the past four weeks. Thanks!

Answer: Heather,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I suspect your tree just had new growth burned back and will resprout and be fine in time. Hopefully by now it has resprouted. Trim the dead growth back to the living shoots. If it has not resprouted by the time you receive this e-mail I think it may not return and would need to be replaced.