The Q&A Archives: where are seeds

Question: i would like to start a couple of gardenia plants from the bushes that i already have in the yard and your article says that you can start them from seeds, where might they be and what do they look like

Answer: Jo Anne,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I have never seen anyone try to get seeds from gardenias and even if the modern varieties are setting seed (which I kinda doubt) this would be a very slow process to get a seeding growing for years to reach flowering age. It would also mean the seedling was not a copy of the desirable variety from which it came. I would suggest instead you try rooting cuttings which is how commercial growers produce gardenias. The following web site provides info on how to root cuttings: