The Q&A Archives: Groundcover for shade

Question: I want to plant some groundcover in an area that doesnt get much direct sun. Also, I want to make a few hanging baskets. They can be greenery only or plant with flower. I am in Anchorage, Alaska.

Answer: Dwarf Dogwood (Cornus canadensis); Cloudberry (Rubus chamaemorus); Nagoonberry (Rubus arcticus); Bearberry (Kinnikinnik - Arctostaphylos uva-ursi); Alpine Bearberry
(Arctostaphylos alpina); Mountain Cranberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea), or even blueberry would make good ground covers for your region. They are native plants and therefore easy care.

There are many plants you can use in hanging baskets. Fuchsias are popular, as are nasturtiums, wave petunias, bacopa, creeping jenny, ivy geraniums, million bells, begonia and verbena. You can add ferns, impatiens, and dead nettle for extra splashes of color.

Enjoy your new hanging baskets!