The Q&A Archives: gardenia plants

Question: I have two beautiful gardenia trees from the nursery that went through last years 25 degree overnight temp. The leaves turned brown and stiff to the touch, I thought I would try to bring them back..I cut off all the leaves back to the wood, and even some of the wood.( they are in lg. pots) I was told to feed them and that they should come back...This was months ago are they dead? Do I need to give up or will they come back...? Broken hearted I wait. They were so..beautiful.

Answer: Bette,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

If your plants are not sprouting yet I think that the cold was too much for them. Sorry to hear about your plants. That freeze hurt a lot of plants across the south.