The Q&A Archives: Pruning bababerries

Question: I have bababerries, which bloom and fruit in spring and fall. How do I prune them to produce the best crop of berries in both seasons? Marv Salter Paso Robles, CA

Answer: Bababerries, a strain of everbearing red raspberry discovered in southern California, grow very well in hot climates, says Dick Fowler, co-owner of Fowler's Nursery, growers of bababerries and other small fruits in Newcastle, California. You prune the biennial canes the same way you prune any everbearing red raspberries. The new growth, called primocanes, grows all summer and fruits in September as a fall crop. During the dormant season - after December in your area - prune back these first-year canes to five or six feet tall and weave them over a trellis, Fowler explains. In spring these canes, now called floricanes, send out lateral shoots that bear flowers and then fruit. After those spring berries are gone, the canes will slowly die. Removethem promptly to get more sunlight to the new primocanes emerging from the soil. They start the cycle over again, giving you a crop in the fall.