The Q&A Archives: Plants for a Dry Pond

Question: Please identify plants that I can put in a 'dry pond'.<br>Here, a 'dry pond' is an area of land scooped out of the land that is to retain rain water (run off) for a period of time. When it rains this area fills with water, ofter being totaly saturated (up to 3 feet of water) then draining. At most times however it is totaly dry. We have a clay soil here, the dry pond was created when the houses were built...hence no 'soil' only red clay.<br><br> What can I plant in an areaof about 100'x100' that I dont have to take care of and will live with no watering and still be here after it is subjected to 3 feet of water ?

Answer: Rather than suggest plants, I'll point you toward a GREAT resource for your situation - Prairie Moon Nursery (Rt. 3 Box 163, Winona MN 55987; ph# 507/452-1362). Their catalog features a tremendous plant list and thorough cultural information. In their terms, your dry pond is classified as "wet mesic". Give them a call to request a catalog and specific recommendations for your site. Good luck!