The Q&A Archives: Rhododendron Does Not Flower

Question: About 3 years ago I planted a rhododendron (Cunningham White) that has never produced flowers, producing, instead, deformed buds. There has been leaf drop marked by rust colored spots/edges. I was told that the plant has leaf spot. I?ve used a fungicide and consistently removed the infected leaves, employing extreme sanitation. Should I give up and remove this plant? Is it safe to plant another rhody (or any other perennial) at this location? Should the soil be sterilized before I plant another perennial?

Answer: Based on your description, I am not certain what is happening to your rhododendron. The deformed buds you described could be symptoms of infestation by an insect called the rhododendron gall midge. The rust colored spots/edges could be related to winter burn or winter damage, or they could be a disease of some kind. I would suggest you work with your local county extension to obtain specific diagnosis of each problem and based on knowing that, determine how to proceed. In general, I would not recommend replanting with another rhododendron or an azalea if there is a midge problem or an ongoing disease issue. Unrelated perennials should be fine.