The Q&A Archives: Thin out purple leaf plum

Question: Is it recommended to thin out or open up a purple leaf plum tree? When the wind blows I'm afraid it will blow it over.

Also- I have some new hydrangeas and once the leaves come out they then turn brown and curl on the edges. Is this too much water or not enough?

Answer: It won't hurt your purple leaf plum tree if you thin out the branches. Just remember to take less than one-third of the live growth during any one pruning session.

Brown leaf margins on your hydrangea can indicate over-fertilization or lack of water. If you haven't fertilized, then the problem is most likely not enough water. When you water (once or twice a week, depending upon weather), remember to water deeply, applying water slowly so it has a chance to trickle down and saturate the root mass. Your hydrangea should show improvement in its new leaves.

Best wishes with your landscape!