The Q&A Archives: What to powder roses with

Question: Hello, I am going to be planting roses for the first time. I already know they will need special attention, but I have heard that they also need to be powdered. What do I powder them with and how often? Just so you know they will be in full sun for about six hours out of the day( they will be in my front yard). Thankyou very much, Mary Johnson

Answer: Full sun, well drained soil, good air circulation and proper watering (keep the soil evenly moist, not sopping wet and not dried out; avoid wetting the foliage when you water) will help keep your roses healthy. In the old days people routinely treated their roses preventively with insecticides and fungicides. In modern horticulture practice, this is no longer recommended due to environmental concerns. Instead, select roses that are naturally disease resistant and keep them vigorous with proper care and siting. If a problem develops, diagnose it and then treat accordingly. I hope this answers your question.